Subject: Re: Lightwave Reviews
From: Christian Aubert <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 23:05:12 -0500

At 08:51 PM 1/4/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everybody!
>
>I just want to share with you my latest discovery: I must be a weirdo from
>another planet...
>Why?! Because it's the second or third time that I see a Lightwave review on a
>PC magazine and the conclusion is that it is an great program, with lots of
>features, pro-style results and a poor/confusing/non-standard/unintuitive
>interface!!! WHAT?!?! I can't believe my eyes when I see this kind of
>comments... The first time, I thought the reviewer was a PC geek that was so
>used to Micro$oft interface that he could stand anything else. But now it's to
>many reviewers sharing the same opinion!
>
>So, if I think this is the most intuitive interface I ever worked on (I was
>doing animations without even touching the manual) and the elite thinks the
>interface is not-so-good, then I must be a kind of weird non-Terrestrial
>thing!!!

I read a review of Softimage NT in 3D design last night, and one of their
major complaints was that the interface was very non-windows like. Give me a
break! You've got Softimage, running on a relatively cheap PC (compared to a
*not so relatively very expensive* SGI), and you complain that the interface
isn't the same as Word!? Windows good, LightWave bad!

I'm glad that LightWave is available on a faster box than an Amiga (although
I've had Amigas for almost as long as they've been out), but most PC users
are still dumb as bricks, and wear blinders to boot. They're the same kind
of people that ridiculed hi-res color displays (what are you gonna do with
4096 colors?) and multi-tasking way back when (why would you want more than
1 meg? You can't use more than 640K anyway?). They'll change their minds
when Bill says so!

May I remind you that some user interface genuis at Microsoft made it so
that you've got to hit the start button in order to shut down your computer!!!

Off the soapbox now, that felt goooood...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
 Christian Aubert - 3D Art Tech              [email-masked]
 Megatoon Studios                
 http://www.megatoon.com/~chris               418-527-3636 #236
-----------------------------------------------------------------